Introducing Instagram Threads
Have you heard the recent news from Mark Zuckerberg that the initial version of Instagram Threads has launched?
The app went live on 5th July 2023 in more than 100 countries, with Meta revealing that the app passed five million sign ups just four hours after going live!
But what is Instagram Threads you might wonder?
What is Instagram Threads?
Threads is a new app, built by the Instagram team, for sharing text updates and joining public conversations and is set to become Twitter’s latest competitor.
Threads and replies to other accounts’ Threads can include short pieces of text (up to 500 characters long), photos, videos (up to 5 minutes in length) and, unlike the Instagram app, Threads can also include clickable links.
People can follow you to see your Threads and replies in their feed and from your profile.
People can also reply to your Threads to add to the discussion, or like, share, quote or repost your content.
How to set up your Threads account
To be able to sign up to Threads, you will first off need an Instagram account.
If you have an Instagram account you will be able to download the Threads app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Logging into your Threads account is easy, you simply use your Instagram login details. Your Instagram username and verification will then carry over, with the option to customise your profile specifically for Threads.
When you first use the app, you’ll be given the option to automatically follow all of the same accounts you follow on Instagram or just select certain ones.
These will then be the accounts that appear in your newsfeed, as well as recommended content from new creators you haven’t discovered yet.
Many people have already said, from the moment you first log in to Threads, it largely starts showing you recommended posts from accounts and brands you don’t necessarily follow, which may be frustrating for people that only want to see Threads from people they follow. This is due to Threads, like Facebook and Instagram, being algorithm-based.
To try and change this, go to your profile, tap the menu in the top right corner, then ‘Settings’, then ‘Notifications’. Tap on ‘Threads and Replies’, and you’ll get a list of options where you can decide what you want to see. Scroll down to ‘First Threads’ and select ‘From people you follow’. Your feed may then be more likely to show you more content from people you follow first, rather than suggested accounts, however this is not yet proven.
You can also mute/hide content you dont want to see. You can do this by clicking the three dots in the top right hand corner of the Thread and then choosing either hide or mute.
Mute will mean you no longer see any content from that account and hide will just hide that specific post.
You can also share Threads posts to your Instagram story, or share your post as a link on any other platform you choose.
How to create a Thread
- Tap at the bottom of the Threads app
- Enter the text you want to include in your thread
- You will then be able to attach a photo or video to your thread by tapping the paperclip and selecting up to ten items that you want to attach
- Then tap done
- You will be able to add to your thread by tapping Add to thread (If your thread already contains more than 500 characters, another thread will automatically be added.)
- You can also change who can reply to your thread by tapping ‘Anyone can reply’ in the bottom left corner. You will then be able to limit who can reply to your thread by either selecting ‘Profiles you follow’ or ‘Mentioned only’.
- Then tap ‘Post’ in the bottom right. You’ll see a progress bar at the top while your thread is being posted.
Key features of Instagram Threads
- Close Friends List: Threads builds upon the ‘Close Friends’ feature of the main Instagram app. It allows users to create a curated list of close friends with whom they can share content exclusively. This feature ensures that conversations and updates remain private and personal.
- Status Updates: Users can manually update their status or set it to update automatically based on their location. Status updates let friends know what the user is currently up to, such as ‘Studying’, ‘Travelling’, or ‘Feeling Creative’. It’s a way to share real-time information and stay connected.
- Messaging and Notifications: Threads offers a messaging feature that allows users to have conversations with their friends. It supports text messages, photo and video sharing, as well as messages that disappear after being viewed. Notifications from Threads are designed to be less intrusive than the main Instagram app, allowing users to focus on their conversations.
- Do Not Disturb: To ensure uninterrupted personal time, Threads includes a ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode. When activated, it mutes notifications temporarily, allowing users to have dedicated periods of privacy or relaxation.
Talk to us
If you would like help with your marketing including your marketing strategy, digital and traditional marketing, customer feedback /research, or anything else marketing-related, please get in touch with our friendly team.
Our marketing agency is based between Eastbourne and Hailsham in East Sussex. We work locally with clients across Lewes, Hastings, Uckfield, Crowborough, Heathfield, Newhaven and surrounding areas – as well as other parts of the UK.
We can help you feel confident and in control of your marketing – and get results!