Network Review – Business Builder Forum for Entrepreneurs – Eastbourne
Date: 31 August 2018
Emma Pearce gives a more detailed insight into a learning and networking meeting for entrepreneurs
By Emma Pearce, Marketing Consultant – marketing planning, outsourced marketing services and social media training
(as published in Platinum Business Magazine)
The Business Builder Forum is definitely not your regular networking group. It is a monthly “development” event for business leaders who are keen to grow their operations. But of course, that inevitably leads to networking opportunities with like-minded entrepreneurs in the local area.
Michael Ogilvie started the Business Builder Forum 17 years ago because “the day you stop learning is the day you stop earning”. He admits this is a bit of a cliche, but the fact is it’s true.
The event was originally for his business clients at OBC The Accountants, but it has been open to anyone who wants to grow their business for some time now.
Each meeting involves interactive discussions and practical problem solving, facilitated by a speaker who shares knowledge and practical advice on a business topic. But that’s not all – because “leaders don’t just take notes… they take action”. Attendees are encouraged to take away action points from each session, to make a positive difference to their business.
Before the speaker begins, there is time for everyone to briefly introduce themselves and, if they wish, report back on what they achieved in the last month to develop their business.
Michael added, “About 30% of our meetings have external speakers, I facilitate a number of sessions and members bring their expertise too.”
Topics tackled by the group include marketing and sales, negotiation, branding, profit robbers, leadership, motivation and goals, pricing and value, system improvement and managing teams. Michael is able to combine his expertise as a Profit Coach and International Conference Speaker to introduce and challenge members to increase their profits.
The agenda for each event is:
- Brief networking session with delicious breakfast (fruit, pastries and bacon toasties)
- Welcome from Michael and ‘round the table’ introductions and feedback
- Speaker and interactive session with refreshment break
- Close and further networking
Members of the group remarked on how they enjoy taking time to learn and refresh their knowledge, along with working ‘on’ their businesses, rather than ‘in’ it.
The group has about 30 members – with an average of 20 at each meeting, which is a workable number for the format it takes. They are derived from manufacturers, property specialists, banking, healthcare, the Let’s do Business Group, exhibition and building contractors, BMX retail and the surveying, architecture, legal, marketing and insurance sectors. Some work internationally, others nationally and many are more regionally focused.
- Location: The Towner Art Gallery, Eastbourne
- Frequency: Monthly (except August and December)
- Size: 20 attendees
- Time: 7.50 am – 10 am
- Lock out: No
- USP: Learning forum for entrepreneurs to grow their business. Each member can take up the offer of a complimentary 1-2-1 session with Michael for support and signposting. Plus there is a “guarantee” – if you don’t feel you have received value, you can advise what you think it was worth and be refunded the difference.
- Minute round: Brief introduction and feedback on achievements since last month
- Speaker slot: 1 hour learning and interactive session with a speaker
- Cost: £55 incl VAT per month for annual membership paid by standing order. Bring a guest for free. Opportunities to gain a free annual membership, or free lifetime membership, by referring new members.
To find out more, please contact Pippa Prichard – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a look at our huge list of networking groups in Sussex
Why not read our other networking blogs… including:
- Networking is it really worth it?
- Tips and ideas for your 1 minute networking presentation
- Business Networking events in East Sussex for Men and Women
Find out more about our marketing consultancy and outsourced marketing services.